The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West Actual Rating: 4.5 StarsWhen I added Kasie West's The Distance Between Us to my TBR list I did it solely for that gorgeous cover. Boy am I'm glad I did it because this heart warming story just became one of my favorite reads for 2013. The Distance Between Us takes cliche poor girl/rich boy scenario and turns it into an amazing story that will leave you gushing about it weeks after you turn that final page! I feel that characters can make or break a book. The Distance Between Us is a solid example of this-If the characters were flat and poorly constructed the whole rich guy/poor girl story would have been a huge fail. So I'm glad to say that the awesome-sauce characters were one of the strengths of The Distance Between Us.Caymen is a senior who's helping her mom to make ends meet by working at her mom's porcelain doll store. Brownie points to Kasie West for the original(and kinda creepy) setting-I don't think I've ever come across a YA book that's set in a doll shop!I absolutely loved Caymen's voice-her dry humor was enough to keep me reading. She used her sarcasm without remorse and I loved this girl for it! (I think maybe overusing the word LOVE in this review)“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?”“I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy.” And Xander-It's a crime to create such a frigging perfect character because all my other fictional boyfriends look just pale in comparison to this guy. He was super charming, thoughful and sweet in this real way. And despite Caymen's attempts to keep him away with her sarcasm he calls her out on it and keeps pursuing her.“Caymen?”“Yes?”“You look terrified. Does this scare you?”“More than anything.”“Why?”“Because I didn’t bring my mints.” “And now the real answer . . .” “Because I’m afraid that once you catch me, the game’s over.”From digging graves and shopping at thrift stores to flying out to check out universities-I loved the way Kasie uses these cute 'career days' to help us get to know Xander and Caymen better! The Distance Between Us is a book that leaves you with a 'happy high' that you get only after you eat multiple bars of chocolate and watch Beauty and the Beast a bazillion times.There was twist at the end that kinda threw me off for a second, I felt that this tied things up a little too neatly. But other than tiny little road bump The Distance Between Us was pretty much awesome!So basically, what I'm trying to say is read this book people-READ IT NOW.The Distance Between Us is what contemporary books are all about-swoony, fun and dramatic enough to keep you turning those pages.*** A huge thank you to Harper Teen and Kasie West for a copy of this amazing book. I heart you guys.***